Count On It

Count-Wayt family genealogy, history, memories.
Family tree is shown at https://www.myheritage.com/site-88781/count-on-it, which includes surnames:

  • Count
  • Wayt
  • Katsara(s)
  • Doty
  • Kefaluku(s)
  • Hynes
  • Main
  • McKibbin
  • Wheeler

17 June 2007

Katsaras Geneology

My mom is the 4th of 7 Katsaras offspring of Iannis and Eirini Katsaras from Rhodes, Greece. My grandfather was a translater and spoke Italian, English, as well as Greek, perfectly. During World War II, my grandmother hid a Jewish family even though she could have been killed for doing so. At that time, Greeks were lined up and shot 50 at a time any time 1 German soldier died. Also, thousands of Greeks starved to death because the Germans came in and took all of the food. So to this day, my Grandmother hides a box of food under her bed. I think she is absolutely amazing and is my inspiration.

George Katsaras sent me this which tells a little more about our geneology:


My mother has in her box of photos a photo taken 50 years
ago of Steve, my grandfather Kosta's Antoniadis & perhaps my uncle Paul
Antoniadis and me as a 12 year old boy and we were fishing on either Steve's
boat or Stamas' boat I don't know why the Stamas name is in my memory. Meni
looks like our aunt Katherine. Our grandfather George Balourdos Katsaras
knew Steve and visited with him over 50 years ago and I was there also.
Papu George visited another man and his family by the name of Capt. Papinis
or Pipinis. Who was also related to us. At the time I was about 12 years
old. Also, at that meeting I met 2 Marys one was Papinis and the other was
the sister of Stella, wife, of my first cousin's Demos Megaloudis. I was in
love with both Mary's LOL. Stella's Sister I have had the pleasure of seeing
often with her husband and family at family doings while visiting in TP, the
other Mary (papinis), I saw only once at Gary Megaloudis' wedding and she
was across the room so I did not have an opportunity to talk to her I did
not recognize her she was pointed out to me. I know that we are related to
the Steve Katsaras family and he did know my father Spiros(Pete). Spiros may
have been in the photo also. Incidentally we had several hundred big Grunts
and Black sea bass etc. That is why I remember the photo. However I had
another uncle name Mike Balaskas, Father of Sylvia Joanow, Dianna
Angeliadis, Yvonne Boyazis, and Angie ???. Mike for some reason in his later
years insisted that Steve and I were not related. But Symi is a Small Island
How many Katsarases could live in such a small place and not be related.
Besides The way Katsaras is spelled in Greek is not the common spelling and
certainly not the spelling of "Curly hair" which is either kouts.... or
...os on the end or A with out the S could be stretched into curly but I
spoke to some a few years ago and they told me that if the name was spelled
like ours then we are all related. We are also related to the Katsaras
Rhodos Bay hotel. But I don't remember how but I think it is the sons of one
of our Papou's brother. But I believe that Steve and John Are also related
as the sons of one of Papou's brothers. What is the name of Steve's father
and grand father maybe TS Kim could ask Steve about the connection with
Balourdos, if he knows. I doubt seriously that we are related to George
Katsaros the musician. I am related to the Galourakis' somehow too but I
don't know if it was through my maternal grandmother's side or what. I was
also distantly related to another family named Arfaras, Their daughter and
I really liked each other and dated when I was in high school (I spent my
summers in TP working on (Miss Aspasia and the Miss Milwaukee boats) Senior
moment I can't remember her name it will come to me later. She lived in a
huge house which was near Pappas' restaurant. I lost track of her when she
went away. I heard she died at a very early age like 40 she was real nice.
Steve has a daughter that I haven't seen in over 40 years at least, that I
remember as being very pretty, she was tall and thin and I think her name
was Mary or Maria but not sure, she would be in her mid 60s now. But what I
remember most about her was that she was so friendly to me when I was very
young maybe 10 or less and she took me with others to the pier at night and
low tide and we were gathering Scallops, gigging flounder, and catching
crabs. If you know her please ask her if she remembers me or that time at
the pier, (it could have been several times) because I remember her and how
sweet she was to me her little cousin. Actually now that I think about it we
did spend a some time with Steve's family. about 25 years ago I met Steve
at the Miami boat show I recognized him as soon as I saw him. Please try
and send me as much info about the families and perhaps we can get a good
family tree together. Don't be surprised if we find relatives in northern
Greece and Asia minor too because some of the brothers went north and I
believe we originally came out of Asia Minor perhaps before 1800.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home